Department of Public Works
||Baltimore County, MD
||Mechanical, Electrical. Plumbing, Structural
Century provided the MEP and Structural engineering services for the new construction of a 33,000 s.f. LEED® Silver library and senior center building and a 9,000 s.f. LEED Gold® recreation center. The library is a full service facility consisting of meeting rooms, reading area, children’s area, magazine area, study rooms, a drive thru window, and staffing areas. The senior center includes an exercise room, offices, classrooms, craft rooms, game room, and multi-purpose room. The recreation center includes a gymnasium, activity room, and offices.
Sustainable Design Features:
- Specified recycled content in structural steel and other construction materials.
- Reduced water use by 50% by specifying low water consumption plumbing fixtures.
- Optimized Energy Performance by 29.2% over the baseline requirements of ASHRAE 90.1 for the Library / Senior Center building.
- Increased Energy Efficiency by 42.7% over the baseline requirements of ASHRAE 90.1 for the Recreation Center building.
- Specified variable capacity compressors and variable speed fans for the HVAC systems to maximize energy reduction.
- Specified HVAC systems non CFC based refrigerants.
- Specified HVAC system to minimize the emission of compounds that contribute to ozone depletion and global warming.
- Incorporated a dedicated 100% outside air rooftop unit with an energy recovery wheel to reduce energy consumption while increasing air quality to the Library.
- Incorporated variable air volume rooftop unit with an energy recovery wheel to reduce energy consumption while increasing air quality to the Senior Center.
- Interior Lighting fixtures and layout designed to achieve a lighting power density of 0.8 watts per square foot by utilizing natural light high performance light fixtures, and indirect lighting.